Think full body massage without the big price tag. This exercise facilitates a great release of the hips and low back while opening up the thoracic back and alleviating tension in the shoulders and neck.
Supine Groin Progressive Arm Sequence
The shoulders and hips function together as a unit. For this reason, this arm sequence is an effective way to speed up the release of your hips, as well as facilitate a release and opening up through the thoracic spine and shoulders.
Instructions: Perform ten repetitions of one of the following exercises at each level of supine groin progressive:
To stretch our shoulders and upper back.
- Clasp hands together and straighten your arms above your chest.
- Relax your shoulders down to the floor while locking out your elbows.
- Slowly lower your arms to your left and rotate to your upper body.
- Twist your arms so your thumbs face down toward the floor.
- Try to maintain an “almost” straight right arm.
- Pause for a second and return to the starting position.
- Repeat to the right side and continue rotating for ten repetitions.
To open up the thoracic back.
- Reach arms straight up above your chest, elbows locked and hands clasped together.
- Now lower your hands down to the floor above your head.
- Do not let your arms bend at the elbow, keep them straight throughout the exercise.
Pullbacks promote an opening of the thoracic spine, which is why it is critical you maintain straight elbows. If you are unable to lower your hands all the way to the floor behind you, go only as low as you are able while maintaining the straight-arm position.
To alleviate tension in the neck and shoulders.
- Place arms out at shoulder level with palms facing up.
- Lift your right arm off of the floor and reach across your chest and attempt to touch your mid-forearm of your left arm.
- To facilitate this movement, rotate your head in the direction the right arm is reaching.
- Return your arm slowly to the beginning position and repeat the movement with the left arm.
- Alternate sides for a total of ten repetitions.